One of my favourite things to buy from Starbucks is their protein box, and thought, hey! I can make my own. Most of the box is super simple, cheddar cheese, grapes, apple, eggs, but of course, the best part is the little piece of muesli bread. Found a simple recipe from the Minimalist Baker, and it was absolutely delicious! Made a few adjustments, and here’s what I ended up with.
- 11⁄2 cups warm water
- 3⁄4 tablespoon yeast
- 3 cups flour + 1⁄2 whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- Add warm water to yeast in a large mixing bowl, wait 2 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, and sugar. Beat at medium speed for one minute. The dough should be very elastic and sticky. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl.
- Cover, and let it rise at room temperature for 2 hours, followed by 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface – add the sunflower seeds, almonds, and raisins, and mix well. Sprinkle flour on the top, and let rest for an hour.
- During this time, heat the oven to 450°F. On the bottom rack, place a metal tray.
- Slash the top of the bread with a knife.
- Pour a cup of water into the bottom rack, and place the bread in the oven – close the oven door quickly to keep the steam in.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm with honey and peanut butter.