Seeing as the massive bag of apples are still sitting in my place, I thought I would bake with them again. This time I baked another Martha Stewart recipe: Apple and oat scones with cinnamon and nutmeg, yum. Increased the cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as the apple content, as always. I enjoy my bakery goods with more fillings than dough.
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups of apples
- 2⁄3 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Add the apples and buttermilk, and mix.
- Flour surface and roll out dough into rectangles. Using a cookie cutter, cut shapes into the flattened dough.
- Brush the tops with extra buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar and oats.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, and let cool.
- Serve with maple syrup and peanut butter, or clotted cream and jam!